When not tinkering in my VMware environment day to day the other part of my role is for application specialism. This has recently got me looking into SharePoint 2016 so that we can have a central place for reports and other services. Initially I thought this would be a walk in the park as I had the dev one up in a day or two but when scaling out odd things happen and you soon realise some things are missing since the 2013 edition.
The major grips so far are:-
- The setup wizard well should it even be there! Only 1 page now and should you be really using it anyway.
- The user profile service has been cut back. Microsoft doesn’t think anyone was syncing AD, yes it was clunky but you could generate an awesome phonebook from it along with other things. This then causes the people search to do weird things or not work at all. Its been replaced my Microsoft Identity Manager of which I don’t think is cheap and I still need to look into.
- There is no update to SharePoint designer and you just use the 2013 edition.
So onto the tips to save you time when installing and configuring.
1. Installing on Server 2016
You will soon find the pre reqs don’t want to install no matter what. I found that if you run the following commands in an elevated PowerShell first you are golden
Add-WindowsFeature Web-Server,Windows-Identity-Foundation,NET-Framework-45-ASPNET,Web-Mgmt-Console,Web-Mgmt-Compat,Web-Metabase,Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console,Web-Lgcy-Scripting,Web-Mgmt-Tools,Web-WMI,Web-Common-HTTP,NET-HTTP-Activation,NET-Non-HTTP-Activ,NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45 -Source ‘Z:\sources\sxs’
I found this here and it worked perfectly after my old snippets didn’t work
2. Tips on user accounts
I would highly suggest the first portion of this guide for recommend user accounts to use for your installation. You can always substitute your service account acronyms in if needed
3. Creating an Alias to connect to the SQL server
I would follow this guide regardless, its great anyway as it provides you easy flexibility to move the database to other SQL servers or instances too in the future
4. Always on availability
This guide is great on how to set up your always on servers and witness server step by step
As my install goes on I hope to add more guides, especially if I can get the user profile sync to work in some fashion.